Oldest golf course
Who
St Andrews Links
Where
United Kingdom (St Andrews)
When
1552
The Old Course at St Andrews Links in Fife, Scotland, UK, is the oldest golf course in the world. Archbishop Hamilton's Charter in 1552 is the earliest documentary evidence that allowed the people of St Andrews to play golf on the Links. The charter is principally a license to allow Archbishop Hamilton to breed rabbits on the links but the document also allows them to continue the "playing at golf, futball, schuting at all gamis, with all uther maner of pastyme as ever thai plais."