First human-sheep chimera
Prof. Esmail Zanjani, University of Nevada
United States (University of Nevada)

In March 2007, Prof. Esmail Zanjani from the University of Nevada (USA) announced that he and his research team had created the world´s first human-sheep chimaera, i.e. a sheep that contains sheep cells and human cells. 85 per cent of its cells are sheep, the remaining 15 per cent are human, and its creation brings ever closer to reality the prospect of animal organs being transplanted into humans. Zanjani and his team have spent seven years and £5 million perfecting the technique required to produce this chimaera, which involves injecting adult human cells into the foetus of a sheep.