The 2019/20 UEFA Champions League was unlike any other.
Like many other sporting events around the globe, it was suspended until further notice due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
The league eventually resumed in August - however, for the first time, fans were unable to attend the game live.
PepsiCo, the official sponsor of the UEFA Champions League, and Saudi Snacks came up with a record-breaking idea to engage with football fans virtually.
As fans couldn't attend the games, they wanted to connect the fans and encourage socializing and connecting online.
They managed to do so by breaking the record for the most people in an online video chain passing a football with 467.
The successful attempt saw two green screen setups installed in two malls in two cities in Saudi Arabia, Hayat Mall in Riyadh and Red Sea Mall in Jeddah.
Fans visiting the mall got the chance create an online chain of them passing a football to one another.
Participants had to film themselves passing a football from the right to the left with people for different ages and backgrounds joining the fun.
It was an opportunity for participants to enjoy the spirit of the game at a time where team sports were prohibited.
People of different ages, professions and nationalities took part in the attempt.
The attempt was organised by PepsiCo Beverages Saudi and Saudi Snacks Foods.
The UEFA Champions League stands for the ‘Union of European Football Associations’ in which top-division football clubs compete for the title of the best in a group and knockout format.
Some notable UEFA Champions League records include:
- Most hat-tricks in a UEFA Champions League season - with 3, achieved by Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal) from 15 September 2015 to 12 April 2016.
- Youngest player to score in a UEFA Champions League final – achieved by Patrick Kluivert (Netherlands, at the age 18 years 327 days while playing for Ajax back in 1995.
- Oldest player to score in the UEFA Champions League - achieved Francesco Totti (Italy) at the age of 38 years 59 days while playing for Roma (Italy) back in 2014.
- Most goals in a UEFA Champions League season by an individual – with 17 goals, Cristiano Ronaldo adds his name to history while playing for Real Madrid (Spain) during the 2013/2014 season.
- Most UEFA Champions League games managed – with 190 games, achieved by Sir Alex Ferguson (UK) while managing Manchester United FC (UK).