After Tonye Solomon walked 60 km (37 mi) with a football on his head from Amassoma to Yenagoa in Bayelsa State, Nigeria, many of his compatriots doubted the authenticity of his story.
So, to prove them wrong, Tonye decided to demonstrate his skills by setting a Guinness World Records title for the most steps climbed on a ladder while balancing a football on the head.
He successfully achieved the dizzying feat last month by climbing 150 steps to the top of a 250-foot (76-metre) tall radio mast while expertly keeping control of the ball atop his head.
New record: Most steps climbed on a ladder while balancing a football on the head - 150 by Tonye Solomon (Nigeria) ️⚽️— Guinness World Records (@GWR) September 13, 2023
Don't look down 👀 pic.twitter.com/yeZAXe1CxH
Tonye says he wanted to set this record to challenge himself and “inspire others to do great things.”
He spent two months training for it, using all his free time to practise until he was confident that he would not fail.
During the record attempt, Tonye was seemingly unfazed by the steep ascent, taking just 12 and a half minutes to complete the climb.
“I was astonished because it's never been done by anyone before,” said Fish Jombo, a radio presenter who was part of the large crowd which gathered to watch the record attempt.
After climbing all 150 steps, Tonye threw the ball down and celebrated with a fist pump.
“It wasn't easy,” he said. “I thank the Nigerian Civil Defense Bayelsa State Command for allowing me use their facility for this.”
Tonye is part of the Chukwuebuka Freestyle Academy – run by Chukwuebuka Ezugha – which has produced several record-breaking talents such as Kid Eche, Vincent Okezie, Victor Richard Kipo and Confidence Kipo.
Here are some of the Guinness World Records titles they’ve achieved:
- Fastest time to 1000 football touches while balancing a ball on the head - 7 min 46 sec, by Kid Eche
- Most consecutive football touches in one minute while balancing a football on the head - 133, by Kid Eche
- Most knee transfers of a football spun on the finger in one minute – 31, by Confidence Kipo
- Most consecutive passes of a football between the head and soles (team of two) - 252, by Chukwuebuka Ezugha and Victor Richard Kipo
- Most football 'around the world' tricks with arms linked (team of two) – 71, by Victor Richard Kipo and Vincent Okezie
- Most transfers of footballs spun on the finger in 30 seconds (team of two) - 9, by Victor Richard Kipo and Vincent Okezie
- Most consecutive passes of a football between the head and soles while balancing on the back of a person - 129, achieved by Chukwuebuka Ezugha, Victor Richard Kipo and Vincent Okezie
Want more? Follow us on Google News and across our social media channels to stay up-to-date with all things Guinness World Records! You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Threads, TikTok, LinkedIn, and Snapchat Discover.
Don’t forget, we’re also on YouTube!
Still not had enough? Follow the link here to buy our latest book, filled to the brim with stories about our amazing record breakers.