On Sunday October 20, twenty two record attemptees prepared themselves to become Guinness World Records titles holders at the 2019 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon in Canada.
This year marks the 30th anniversary for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon, so we’re pleased to announce that a total of 16 individuals managed to achieve a new record title - one more than last year’s race.
As part of the ninth consecutive year that Guinness World Records has partnered with Canada Running Series to offer runners the chance to become record breakers, an on-site adjudicator was present to verify these attempts in real-time.
Despite the early morning call time and frigid temperatures, the following title holders persevered to make history at the finish line.
- Fastest half marathon dressed as a fruit - Melvin Nyairo, 01:15:35
- Fastest half marathon dressed as a cartoon character (female) - Aysha Mirza, 01:53:26
- Fastest half marathon dressed as a cowboy - Calum Knott, 01:51:29
- Fastest half marathon dressed as a vegetable (female) - Melissa Chen, 01:53:09
- Fastest half marathon in a martial arts suit (male) - Charlie Molina, 01:27:03
- Fastest half marathon run by a married couple (aggregate time) - Jake Carter and Julia Heos, 03:12:23
- Fastest half marathon run by a pair of siblings - Andrea Caballero and Valentina Caballero, 02:15:49
- Fastest half marathon skipping without a rope (male) - Michal Kapral, 02:12:46
- Fastest marathon dressed as a supervillain (male) - Jared Levine, 03:02:02
- Fastest marathon dressed as a tennis player (male) - Diego Alcubierre, 03:05:30
- Fastest marathon dressed as an Aztec (male) - Omar Rosas Trujillo, 03:40:18
- Fastest marathon dressed in a baseball uniform (male) - Jeff Mescal, 02:56:46
- Fastest marathon dressed in a football/soccer kit (male) - Bruno Gustavo Macaneiro, 03:28:34
- Fastest marathon dressed in full Quidditch kit (male) - Joe Ajoy, 04:02:31
Several of the runners in this year’s marathon had interesting background stories, which made their attempts all the more inspirational.
Melvin Nyairo, the record holder for the fastest half marathon dressed as a fruit was sponsored by Chiquita Bananas, and after achieving his feat, gets free bananas for a year!
In honor of her friend who passed last year, Aysha Mirza, the record holder for fastest half marathon dressed as a cartoon character (female) decided to run as Princess Jasmine from the film Aladdin in order to “spread joy” and make others smile.
And lastly, Jeff Mescal impressed several with his short history in marathon running by completing his 100th marathon at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon this weekend. Jeff began running long-distance at the age of 40 and has come so far as to smash the record for the fastest marathon dressed in football/soccer kit (male) by 45 minutes!
Adjudicator Spencer Cammarano was in attendance to present the successful titleholders with their official records.
“It was a pleasure to witness the passion and dedication of all runners at the 2019 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. I am especially delighted to be part of the 30th celebration and watch Guinness World Records titles be broken while these runners make history. Congratulations to all record-holders who are now Officially Amazing.”