A man dressed as Forrest Gump has led home more than 30 new Guinness World Records title holders at the 2018 Virgin Money London Marathon.
Running the hottest London Marathon on record, a total of 98 participants were taking on 90 Guinness World Records titles between them with 34 achieving new record times on Sunday (22 April).
First over the finish line was Rob Pope, dressed as Forrest Gump, who achieved the Fastest marathon in film character costume in 2:36:28, just half an hour slower than Sir Mo Farah.
Official Guinness World Records adjudicator, Mark McKinley, was on hand to verify all the new records achieved on race day.
"Seeing Rob Pope dressed as Forrest Gump approach the finish line as our first runner of the day was something memorable, the enthusiasm from the crowd was electric and what an amazing story he has.
"The Virgin Money London Marathon is one of the most exciting events that I’ve had the pleasure of adjudicating in my time at Guinness World Records. Seeing the passion and determination from such a huge number of applicants this year paired with their incredible fundraising efforts has been truly inspiring.
"Congratulations to the 34 who broke Guinness World Records titles today and have made the next edition of the book, you are all Officially Amazing!"
This is incredible.— London Marathon (@LondonMarathon) April 22, 2018
Rob Pope has run 15,348 miles in 409 days! 👏👏#LondonMarathon#SpiritofLondonpic.twitter.com/BitsGrPUqz
Rob has spent the previous 18 months recreating Forrest Gump’s run across America; covering approximately 40 miles a day and isn’t finished yet, on Tuesday (24 April) he will be jetting off to Arizona to complete the final leg of his Forrest Gump tour of America.
As well as Rob, 33 other runners achieved new records during the marathon with titles including the Fastest marathon in a wedding dress (male), Fastest marathon in a two-person costume and Fastest marathon dressed as an emoji.
See the full list of new record holders, and their times, below.
- Rob Pope, Fastest marathon in film character costume (Forrest Gump) 2:36:28
- Matt Berry, Fastest marathon in a wedding dress(male) 2:55:52
- Mathieu Lavedrine, Fastest marathon dressed as a Star Wars character (male) (x-wing pilot) 3:05:27
- Joe Gale, Fastest marathon dressed as a love heart (male) 3:05:55
- David Stoneman, Fastest marathon dressed in pyjamas (male) 3:07:09
- Barnaby Hopson, Fastest marathon dressed as an insect 3:14:24
- Terry Midgely, Fastest marathon dressed in a rugby kit (male) 3:20:16
- Oliver Hill, Fastest marathon dressed as a whoopee cushion 3:20:39
- Michael Odell & Guy Dunscombe, Fastest marathon in a two-person costume (horse and jockey) 3:25:17
- Carly Furnell, Fastest marathon dressed as a cheerleader (female) 3:27:14
- James Caldon, Fastest marathon dressed as a tennis player (male) 3:28:48
- Rebecca Cesar de Sa, Fastest marathon dressed as a lifeguard (female) 3:31:06
- Amy Shadbolt, Fastest marathon dressed as a vegetable (carrot) 3:32:50
- Alex Morales, Fastest marathon dressed as a stationery item 3:33:13
- Paul Underwood, Fastest marathon dressed as a monarch 3:39:10
- Charlotte Österman, Fastest marathon dressed as a zombie (female) 3:39:25
- Jonathan Carter, Fastest marathon dressed as a hospital patient 3:40:38
- Edward Low, Fastest marathon dressed as a padlock (male) 3:51:18
- Tim Perkins, Fastest marathon dressed as a tree (male) 3:52:35
- Stacey Harper, Fastest marathon dressed as Elvis (female) 3:53:56
- George Rutherford-Jones, Fastest marathon dressed as a landmark (male) 3:54:43
- Marta Kiermacz-Abramek, Fastest marathon in a suit (female) 3:57:57
- Bethan Roberts, Fastest marathon dressed as a dragon (female) 3:58:53
- Louise Andrews & Neil Sheward, Fastest marathon three-legged (mixed) 3:59:56
- David Smith, Fastest marathon dressed in motorcycle leathers 4:00:11
- Fiona Betts, Fastest marathon dressed in a full body animal costume 4:13:25
- Victoria Bell, Fastest marathon dressed as an emoji (poo) 4:18:06
- Julie Greenwood, Fastest marathon dressed as a fairy tale character 4:24:07
- Bob Johnson, Fastest marathon dressed as a three-dimensional toy 4:59:30
- Owen Willis, Fastest marathon dressed as a three-dimensional plant (male) 4:59:39
- Richard Gray, Fastest marathon carrying a household appliance (white goods) 5:49:37
- Colin Haylock, Fastest marathon wearing ski boots 5:52:16
- Megan Walker, Ceyhun Uzun, Andrew Sharpe, Holly Bishop, Frederick Holland & Richard Scantlebury, Fastest marathon in a six-person costume 6:20:48
- Michelle Frost, Fastest marathon on stilts 6:37:38
This was the 11th year Guinness World Records has partnered with Virgin Money London Marathon, providing on-the-finish-line verification for a huge variety of costumed runners.