Guinness World Records is partnering with the Virgin Money London Marathon for the 10th year running, giving participants in the iconic race the chance to become official record title holders.
Attempting a Guinness World Records title is a fantastic way to raise awareness and money for then charity you are supporting and can make the event even more exciting.
An adjudicator will be at the finish line to tell you whether you have successfully achieved the record you are attempting – something which is usually a paid-for service but, for this day only, the verification is done for free.
Last year, an incredible 31 competitors won a Guinness World Records title in London, meanwhile ESA astronaut Tim Peake achieved a brand new title for the Fastest marathon in orbit (male), running the marathon on-board the International Space Station in a time of 3:35.21.
Please be aware that in order to apply for a record, you must have secured a guaranteed place in the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon.
For more information on how you can set a new Guinness World Records title or break an existing record at the 2017 Virgin Money London Marathon, please visit the ‘Set a Record’ section of our website.
The deadline for applications is Friday 10 February 2017 at 17.00.
Please make a standard application via the GuinnessWorldRecords.com ‘Set a Record’ section and include the following:
- A record title and a full description of the Guinness World Records attempt
- Dimensions of the costume or object that is to be worn or carried (including height, width, depth and weight)
- Applicant’s unique running number allocated via ballot place confirmation, through a charity or other guaranteed entry console
- Projected finish time in any costume you hope to run in
- Once you have applied, the allocated record manager will request that a photograph which clearly shows the runner wearing/carrying the full costume and/or object is submitted via the online portal
- Should your application be successful, you will be required to complete a biography form by Friday 3 March 2017. If the record title you wish to run for doesn’t exist on our website please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your proposed title and image of the costume for our category manager to review. (Please note this email account is for new categories only and any other correspondence won’t be responded to.)
As part of the submission process a full description of each applicants planned record attempt will be sent to the London Marathon Operations Department by Guinness World Records.
The attempt will then be assessed to ensure it is appropriate for the Virgin Money London Marathon.
Please note that you may be asked to take part in the 2017 Adidas Silverstone Half Marathon on Sunday 12 March for a practical demonstration of your record attempt in race conditions. Please also note applications will be rejected for any runner that is asked to run Silverstone and does not do so.
London Marathon Events Ltd reserves the right to deny entry if the costume is deemed to contravene health and safety regulations. All applicants approved for on-the-day ratification will be moved to the Green Start by London Marathon Events Ltd.